Tuesday 11 February 2014

Is the chocolate and flowers worth it?

Valentines day, supposedly the one day a year when being with someone is the day you go all out and treat them. Which is true, people propose to their loved ones, shower them in gifts and get married on this day; but even in a relationship I don't feel Valentines day is all that everyone cracks it out to be.

If someone a year ago told me i'd think that today I would've given them a slap. Before last year i'd never spent a valentines day with someone, i'd always be alone or been dumped just before it. So it meant everything to me and it just had to be perfect.
So I fussed over Valentines day. I constantly reminded my boyfriend, and told him it had to be great because I'd never spent it with anyone before and he was the first person I wanted to spend it with. Looking back on it, I probably but too much pressure on him, sorry!

So February 14th comes along and we end up taking the train to Bristol, we go going shopping and take a trip to the cinema. Just like any other date we'd go on, but because everyone had the same idea it was so packed and we couldn't really enjoy it. So we gave up.
We decided to go home and pick up some Krispy Kreme doughnuts to eat on the train, and when we eventually got back into Weston we picked up a Chinese and spent the night round my house watching shitty films and laughing at lame jokes. And in all honesty, It was perfect. My evening tops everything we had planned for the daytime because I could hear him and I didn't feel as if I was under pressure to enjoy myself because I was out in public. It was just me and him, doing what we do best, eating a lot and taking the piss outta each other.

But back to Valentines day this year. I'll be avoiding all the social networking sites where girls will purely use it as bragging rights of what their boyfriends got them. Varying from a dozen roses to a Pandora ring.  (Especially those damned Pandora rings. I swear Pandora booms over the Valentines period and it's biggest consumers are 14-20 year old lads, but thats a different topic all together.) Why do girls feel the need to brag about these things. What do you want? A well done and a pat on the back for having a boyfriend on Valentines day? Keep it to yourselves women!

So, is all those cheesy and pricey Valentines day cards and flowers worth it? For me it's not. In my eyes Valentines day is just another to spend with your loved one. Just like any other day. Why does it matter if your single on one day of the year? You've been single for 364 others why should this one day matter?

What am I doing this Valentines Day? I'm travelling back home to go and see my boyfriend and my family like I would any other weekend and i'll enjoy just as much, excluding that is Valentines day.

No comments:

Post a Comment