Wednesday 25 September 2013

Now, what brought me to Solent?



I'm going to be frank, I didn't even think of studying journalism 'til I hit sixth form. In my head I had the idea that I wanted to be a photographer, but after spending my first year religiously studying photography, I started to lose interest and drift away from that idea. So I booked in a one-to-one session with my sixth form tutor to have a chat about my choices for university. Going to study journalism was originally her idea; I distinctly remember her saying, "Rosie, why don't you study journalism? You seem to be in the know of everything." So I looked into journalism, and I fell in love with it. 

After browsing UCAS for what feels like, hours, I came across a few journalism courses that I was interested in, but it was only just straight courses of journalism, like, photojournalism or music journalism. But I didn't want to do one straight subject, I wanted more variety. This is when I found Multimedia Journalism at Solent and I became more and more interested. I got my interview and came down for an interview and (cheesy I know,) I knew this was the course I wanted to do. 

Music has always been my main passion, since... well, forever. Part of me has always wanted to work in the music industry, but I was always unsure of what kind of thing I wanted to do. But the idea of getting paid to sit there and review an album or go and interview a band, has always appealed to me. The course at Solent offers a music module in my second year, which is what I’m mainly looking forward to. The most defining moment for me wanted to get into music, must be when I bought my first Kerrang! Magazine when I was roughly twelve.  Hopefully Solent can let me get where I want to be, and have some fun along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment