Sunday 1 February 2015

Life review: Staying in bed all day did me some good.

Because life is so weird and wonderful, it can all be a bit too much; and the human beings we are, we don't always get it right and it leaves us thinking, "What the fuck was that?"  "Why did I do that?" "I'm a terrible human being." 

This generally happens to me the morning after i've been out drinking. Hangovers tend to give me existential crises, which makes me go into meltdown mode. With having questions ranging from, what is my purpose in life? To, do I really need to be a functioning member of society? Which usually finally concludes with, if currency is mere bits of paper why am I striving so hard in life for paper to make up my self worth?

But, none of this happened yesterday. 
Instead of my usual gloomy, stereotypical hangover thoughts mixed with a quarter life crisis, my head space was completely blank. 

I did spend my entire day in bed, but not because I felt like a piece of shit having a shitty little crisis, but it was the complete opposite, it was because I didn't feel like shit. Sure, I was definitely hungover, I felt like Satan himself had eaten me alive and shit me back out. 

So I decided to take the day as a personal day off from life. All responsibilities I had for that day got my middle finger rammed in its face. I wasn't doing anything for anyone, that day was Rosie's Day.  

So I binged on Netflix, I watched 'funny' people try to be funny and documentaries on the most bizarre things. I took the day as to relieve all the sudden stress I had been put under pressure with (and nursing the hangover). I ate shitty food and I laughed with each housemate who decided to pop into my room to make sure I was alive. 

As life passes us by, work stress and other things keeping us up at night. We forget to take a day off for ourselves, sure, sometimes we take a day off under the duvet watching shitty films. Why do we always feel bad about that day, as soon as we wake up the next day as we didn't do anything 'productive'? But, what about taking care of yourself by doing nothing, isn't that a productive part of life? 

We all need some good quality TLC sometimes, and that day was just what I needed, I got a proper nights sleep and when I awoke the next morning I was the happiest and motivated I had been in weeks. (and hangover free, hoorah!)

So even though I had spent an entire day festering under my duvet watching shit on Netflix that in no way shape or form will enlighten my life, I took care of myself. I stopped stressing and enjoyed a rare euphoric bliss that comes with not stressing about anything. 




No comments:

Post a Comment