Monday 5 May 2014

NHS(ex Change.)

While I was at home for the easter break I had the unfortunate pleasure of coming across The Sun newspaper. After lecturing whoever brought it into my house, I gave it a read myself.

I came across an interesting article of a 65 year old man wanted the NHS to pay for his sex change so he could become the woman he knew he was; Roxanne.

The ex-solider, father of four, formerly known as 'Doug'  has been currently having feminisation lessons. This is where she has been learning to walk, talk and act like a woman. She has also been having lessons where she is learning to pitch her voice like singer Cher's.




Despite having these lessons paid for her by the NHS and receiving benefits Roxanne Yeatman wants the NHS (or to really hammer the nail into the coffin, you, the tax payer.) to pay £20,000 for her to have her surgery and carry on with her counselling (lessons) so then she can be truly happy, after claiming that she was 'born in the wrong body.' Roxanne was previously married for 21 and states that she felt 'that the grass was greener on the other side.'

I'm all for these types of surgeries, you can't help if you feel as if you were born the wrong gender. But my issue is with the rise of vanity surgeries and putting extra stress on an already stretched NHS. I've read and heard countless stories of people having their surgeries pushed back to lack of staff or lack of time, and having to wait another 6 weeks in pain etc. So why allow vanity operations like this to happen if we can't even look after our sick properly?

I googled NHS boob job in search of counting how many articles I could find of girls having their boobs done on the NHS but the first link I came across was a genuine link questioning if you were eligible for a free boob job on the NHS. The website briefly outlines that the NHS is for illness and gives you a brief criteria of the standards you'd have to meet if you wanted the tax payer to pay for you to get your boobs done. Don't believe me? Check it out here.

So while i'm sat here writing this at 20 to 2 in the morning I'm sat here in disbelief. Is society really going to promote vanity over health and give people free boob jobs and sex changes, and go "Aw no buddy you don't have to pay a single penny, we just need to tell this sick person we can't afford to employ enough staff to look after them."


No comments:

Post a Comment